Welcome to today's workshop in sunny Newcastle. Now you've had a chance to look at some blogs from different fields of endeavour. What has impressed you, what has left you bemused? Post your concise thoughts as comments on this message.
If you've come across any excellent blogs, remember to post a link.
Thanks!
Lucy
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Blogging in HE - Yes or no? So far from the workshop I can see that there is a need for Institutions to be reactive to Web 2.0 and offer the tools of blogging to staff and students, both for Teaching and Learning and Promotional purposes. Policing the blogs is the major overhead...
I looked at the corporate blogs and found myself wondering how many were genuine blogs and how many were written by someone in the marketing department!
The short punchy blogs seem to work much better than longer blogs. I've seen some blogs related to people's work that read like essays! You know someone has slaved over them for days or weeks before posting them. But do people read long blogs? And are they the right medium to use to post this sort of material?
I think that news and issue blogs might work better than any others. The ones about people's dogs and what they did on holiday leave me bored senseless!
Like the idea of scoopt and the Pepys diary is fantastic. Issues of maintaining and checking the blogs...also other legal aspects to consider. Jisc legal would be one place to start with if you are unsure.
Uses- great for project work and collaborative work.
I've had lots of ideas for using blogs already - although maybe not quite as in depth as http://www.pepysdiary.com/
Like Ian, I think policing blog content is a big issue.
Jackie Wickham said...
Really interesting and fun. It's been useful to see how people are using blogs in a variety of ways. I think I might get hooked on the Darbyshires!
Some of the blogs that I have visited no longer exist, but the blogs I have used are very interesting. Some very plain, whereas some are very graphical and eye-catching. David Harrington
I have been surprised and - dare I admit it - a bit excited by the range of styles and presentations. Some are a little bit worrying, obviously and I am wondering about the writing style I would adopt as Editor. Perhaps it is an age thing but I am worried that I would be too formal and miss the target audience!
I am overwhelmed by the amount of information held in Web 2.0 apps like blogs and wikis and the number of different uses. I need to find a way to take the best bits and apply them at Abertay University.
I feel I need to know more about the link between pedagogy and these developing trends to make sure they are used in a way that helps students with their learning rather than just having something 'faddish' that doesn't bring any real benefit.
I wonder about how different students will engage and cope with technologies and communication methods such a blogs - some people will love it while i think others will be very frightened by it.
With my practical hat on I need to know what will work at Abertay technologically i.e. should we host and run blog/wiki software in-house or use a hosted service. What are the resource and training implications going to be for staff and students?
My favourite blog site so far is
http://www.lollygirl.com/blog/
because I like knitting!!!! Anyone for a pair of argyle socks....!!
I think you could waste a lot of time searching for interesting information. But OK if you get used to specific sites. Warwick University's blog site was excellent
The blogosphere is huge! It seems very easy to get lost, but that's probably because I'm still pretty new to it - I need a cyber-GPS chip in my brain.
Post a Comment