Welcome to today's workshop in Oxford!
Now you've had a chance to look at some blogs from different fields of endeavour. What has impressed you, what has left you bemused? Post your concise thoughts as comments on this message. If you've come across any excellent blogs, remember to post a link.
Thanks!
Helen
Wednesday, May 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Very interesting so far - I am still thinking about the possible uses within the public library sector. Many questions have arisen. How would we keep it up to date? Which audiences should we target? Are there other tools that provide more functions than a simple blog and so are more appropriate? Hope to discover the answers as the day progresses!
Eoin (Open University): It's interesting to see the huge variation in the use of Blogs. I'm interested in understanding the strengths and weaknesses of the different publishing solutions ... I know some of this will be covered later on today!
Food for thought!
All sorts of ideas spring to mind how I may be able to use blogging back at college for my course. Mind you, when I get back I will probably find myself having to put such thoughts to the bottom of the list of to-dos!
I've had a look at edublogs which I hadn't seen before and found this really useful blog about developing moodle in Bromley College which relates to some of the things I'm responsible for at Oxford and Cherwell Valley College
Very interesting blogs but the comment about people with nothing to say does spring to mind with many. Worried about keeping blogs updated once the initial flurry of interest dies down. Time involved in moderating comments may also prove tricky.
I like the way this workshop is structured and presented. This topic is really interesting and fun. Many thoughts can raise from this type of technologies, some from technical views and probably more from the social ones.
I've been browsing the blogs that offered topics which I thought I would find interesting - I've been really surprised by the mix of excellence where really thought-provoking stuff pops up, alongside entries by folk who possibly don't have much else to do than post their own witlessness onto blogs. (And now I am sounding like one of them!) I thought that the David Miliband site was in fact one of the ones that seemed truest to its purpose and perhaps would give him feedback that he could learn from. I was amused by some of the Guido stuff, but turned off by some of the vitriolic comments posted. Not sure I would go there often. Ditto the Warwick Uni site, although its presentation and potential is great. Am still stuck with the dilemma of how to make the AUABlog (go there and check it out!) interesting, useful and alluring, without descending into drivel. Thoughts on a 'post' card, please!
I think one of the attractive features of blogs is that they all tend to share a similar format or structure which makes them very accessible. However, the ways in which a blog can be used seems endless.
I have mixed feelings about blogs. A number I've looked at seem to say a lot of nothing. Time consuming to find things of interest. I like the BBC and a couple of education blogs.
I'm not sure how I would use it in a work situation - an academic library. I would need to have a very clear purpose. Are other tools more appropriate / relevant?
Post a Comment